How We Help
Response to the COVID-19 Crisis
In response to the economic hardship so many families are enduring as a result of the Corona virus, the SCYC Board suspended its enrichment grants in 2020 and focused solely on urgent requests for basic needs, such as food, toiletries and gas. Here are just a few of the children and families we've been able to assist:
- A single mom battling stage 4 cancer needed food assistance for her children.
- A daughter who fled domestic violence needed assistance with mental health services.
- A foster parent working part-time needed food assistance for two grandchildren she is raising.
- A single mom with one child living in a vehicle needed help with repairs to her truck.
- A grandma raising her grandchildren needed assistance to get her grandkids into mental health services.
- A single mom with 3 small children lost her job and needed food assistance.
Parenting Classes and Support Groups
South County Youth Coalition partners with other local agencies to sponsor no-cost parenting classes and parent-child workshops, with the goal strengthening families and fostering a healthy environment for children. In 2019 South County Youth Coalition sponsored nearly 30 parenting classes and support groups touching the lives of hundreds of parents in our community. See this year's class schedule here.
Each year, the South County Youth Coalition provides need-based scholarships to local students for participation in educational and enrichment opportunities such as sports, science camps, classroom field trips, swim lessons, music lessons, AP test fees, yearbooks, bus passes and more. In 2019, South County Youth Coalition fulfilled 192 requests for scholarship assistance.